Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Ecological Foot Print

Website www.footprintenetwork.org/calculator is a website that calculates your ecological footprint, or rather it calculates how many planet Earths it would take if everyone on earth lived the same lifestyle you live right now. Currently, if everyone lived like I do, it would take 4.1 planet Earths to support everyone on Earth! That's over 3 times the about of resources that are available! In my ecological footprint 66% of the planets that I use are consumed by foods and services. That is more then two whole planet Earths! However, the Footprint Network also provides suggestions on simple lifestyle changes the we can make to conserve our planet. Because over 50% of my planet earths are spent on food and services the Footprint Network suggests to pledge to: 1. Eat half the animal products that I eat weekly, 2. Buy products that use recycled packaging, 3. Install solar panels, 4. Use energy star appliances. So, because I have 5 member in my family I have chosen to reduce the amount of animal products that we eat. That way, not only am I  conserving my planet Earths but I'm also helping to conserve my children's planets too! Also, because our family is planning on purchasing a house in this year I have decided that we can make two more contributes to conserving energy. First off, I plan to make sure that any appliances purchased, for our home, are energy efficient to reduce the amount of energy needed to keep the appliances functioning and, to reduce our annual cost of electricity. Second, on the Footprint network I was able to make a "green" pledge. I  pledged to choose a house that will allow our family to have an organic garden! This way, my whole family can help reduce the use of gasoline and the production of smog made to transport fresh fruits and veggies. It will also help us by reducing the amount of money spent on food. Lastly, the Footprint Network gives us the option to save our current ecological footprint. I chose to save mine hoping that next year after I have initiated my plans and pledge I can compare and see how my plans have affected my footprint and have an idea which areas I still need to improve. I am hoping that my plans will help reduce the amount of Earths needed to support my lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment