- Food and Drinks: eggs, bread, popcorn, chicken, cabbage, carrots, dressing, sweet potato, oranges, water, grape juice, ice cream, oil, butter, spices, paper bags, glass bottles, electricity.
- Housing and other Building: approx. 17,000 square feet of land, concrete, wood, brick, various fabrics, lots of electricity, water for plants.
- Transportation: gasoline, asphalt, metal, an extraordinary length of road, two shoes (canvas and rubber), concrete sidewalk.
- Clothing: water to wash, cotton shirt and socks, denim pants.
- School Supplies: lap top, paper, notebook, pencil.
- Personal Care: lotion, soap, lots of water (showers, hand washing, toilets).
- Leisure Activities: nothing today.
- Other: cell phone, water for pets, food for pets, money.
That is a lot of consumption for one day!
We were also asked to choose an item that from our list (above) and trace its roots back to its origin (planet Earth), describe how it may impact our environment in the future, and what I can do to lessen the impact. So I chose to research electricity. Its not a tangible item but it definitely stems from our planet. So I asked myself, how do I get our electricity? And I found the answer. I found out that San Bernardino county receives its electricity from a plant in Redlands. A plant which is a natural gas (fossil fuel) burning plant (http://www.edison.com). And I wondered how many people, in California, obtain their energy from gas burning plants? And the numbers turned out to be 29-42 percent while 10-20 percent receive electricity from hydroelectric plants (http://www.cpuc.ca.gov).
We were also asked to choose an item that from our list (above) and trace its roots back to its origin (planet Earth), describe how it may impact our environment in the future, and what I can do to lessen the impact. So I chose to research electricity. Its not a tangible item but it definitely stems from our planet. So I asked myself, how do I get our electricity? And I found the answer. I found out that San Bernardino county receives its electricity from a plant in Redlands. A plant which is a natural gas (fossil fuel) burning plant (http://www.edison.com). And I wondered how many people, in California, obtain their energy from gas burning plants? And the numbers turned out to be 29-42 percent while 10-20 percent receive electricity from hydroelectric plants (http://www.cpuc.ca.gov).
![]() |
| The yellow dots represent existing hydroelectric plants while the the orange dots represent areas where damns with turbines may / could be used to generate electricity. The purple areas can not be used for various reasons (http://national alatlas.gov). |
Doing a short search about electricity helped me to visualize a broader picture of how many people one Earth or one resource is trying to support. I am better able to see how important diversity is in order to sustain or stretch out a resource as best as we are able. I was surprised to learn how feasible it may be to use water to produce our electricity. So what can I do. Well I can conserve. Conserve electricity by using energy efficient appliances, I can turn off the light when I'm not in a room, and I can try to study outside in the sun. I can conserve water to make sure there are water sources available to produce electricity. I can make sure there are no dripping pipes in the house, I can sweep the back porch instead of washing it with water, I can Use pressurized faucets and shower heads, and I can make sure the sprinklers water only the grass and not the sidewalk. The possibilities are almost endless and I believe that one person can make a difference.

No comments:
Post a Comment